Monks under review

Humanitarians, healers and shepherds to the afflicted.
mercer

Re: Monks under review

Post by mercer » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:26 am

Nobody wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:24 pm
After a little while of playing a monk, my thoughts are these:
- The herbalism tasks feel like they pre-date the change to grinding giving no skill gains. I'd recommend the grind based tasks give a flat 0.2 herbalism gain, or a graded gain (0.1 for inferior, 0.2 for average, 0.3-0.4 for potent). This isn't necessary though, as herbalism feels like a small part of being a monk, so limited gains haven't really felt hampering.
- If herbalism is intended to be a large part of playing a monk, I'd recommend adding an expanded poultice making ability. This could also potentially resolve the RP disconnect of Dimmes and Sophia asking for herbs, which are not commonly known to be medicinal, for medicinal purposes while not teaching monks how to use those herbs to benefit others.*
- I don't think making the combat restrictions lighter would help, at least not at present. With the restrictions currently spelled out as they are the guild likely draws people who are not interested in combat, or who want to do support roles in combat.
- There is something difficult to describe that I'll make an attempt at. Playing a monk and thinking about compassion makes me feel the need to seek out people to aid, but there is no obviously visible need in CLOK. The orphanage looks like the best kept orphanage ever, there are no visible poor people in the streets, and people seem to be largely self sufficient already. Those things are good, I imagine many of them are the result of previous players' RP, in and out of the monastic order, and that's awesome. But over all I feel like monks need to be needed and they're only nice-to-have. I don't have a solution for that, it isn't really a proper problem, but it's the feel I feel.

I hope that feedback is helpful.

* I've thought about requesting to speak with Dimmes to ask him how to use these herbs, but that feels like using RP to beat up on the devs to me, so I haven't wanted to do that. I also haven't wanted to use poultice make to produce a bunch of experimental poultices when I expect that most of them will do nothing and donating them feels wrong for the same reason (I expect they're useless). If a monk-only expanded poultice ability gave poultices that were useless for players but useful for towns (treating warts, infections, helping bones to heal properly, etc.) I'd totally be greatful for the herb-sink and having something to donate that'd be legitimately useful for a town.
The biggest problem I've had with the hole monks herbs thing, is that anything we do in that field is vastly outdone by the udimi. What if we had specific monk only poultices, or could apply thaumaturgy to an herb mixture, kind of like a cream? apply poultice to limb or something like that, or spread cream over right hand. There can be different levels, or it can be when blood touches the cream, it reacts to the inner light combined with the once living herbs, and spreads healing over that limb maybe taking it from severe to moderate Before the light wears off leaving the poultice to do the rest of the work, or you applying a different poultice

mercer

Post by mercer » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:52 am

I really like the dodge suggestion but how will that work with energy? you'd loos energy holding the channel, and then more energy actually dodging. I remember seeing a thing that said it'd call up a thaum channel when you were about to get hit, kind of like advance flare Would it be to much to ask for a disengage?
(m:818 vs D:30)**You feel a sudden surge of warmth spread through your body, and nimbly dart out of the way. A moment later, a steady halo of soft golden light begins emanating from you or
(m:818 vs D:30)**You feel a sudden surge of warmth spread through your body, and nimbly dart out of the way. You make a small effort of will, and a tendral of light Lashes out, briefly blinding %n 5 Light dmg left eye !
energy -5 taking advantage of This, you safely step out from the fray of combat.

You could have the dodge you gain be dependent on how many channels your holding and how hi your base thaumaturgy is, for those situations when your going in to specifically help get corpses.

You could have some nethrem be afraid of monks
so when they go to attack and your holding thaumaturgy, *** a lost soul seems unwilling to approach the blinding halo of light! a lost soul leaves west

I need to test it but the biggest problem with radiance is that it doesn't stun when you enter a room it stuns when you first turn it on and a few seconds afterwords, but you have no way to no it'll trigger if you have to dart into a dangerous room to get a corpse and dart out

mercer

Post by mercer » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:18 am

Kent wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:10 pm
It's frustrating both for the monk and for the people who would like to have the monks teamed up with them that the monk can't participate in the spoils. This is why I suggested that monks be allowed to accept cash (for example, share command) and then donate half of their income to the donation box.
I'm still getting caught up, but all of this has gone way off the original topic I do want to say this because it seems to come up a lot. I disagree with this. I play a monk because I like the character and the way my rp comes out. I play it to heal, and to help where I can. Having access to spoilers or fighting, wouldn't do my character any good as he doesn't feel the desire to take up arms against another beeing reguardless of that beeings intentions. There should always be a way to resolve a situation without violence to him. To those who think monks should combat, that's fine, but please don't assume that we all play are characters that way.
On the subject of making monks more enjoyable to others , part of the issues is there a fully player reliant guild. Player vs player interaction is important, but is a problem in times when there are 2 or 3 people online. When there aren't players, there isn't much for a monk to do than go around to healers over and over again looking for people to heal. Even when there are players on, there is no guarantee that they will want or need your help I've suggested monks being able to announce that they are around for healing, but there is to much exploit in skil gains. I'm not actually sure what higher thaum and channeling does, I'm told you get tired less often? Either way Perhaps the solution here is to simply expand what it means to be a monk. Give them ways to supply the town, give them gp for doing things like selling food to the market, donating to the orphanage, mod the orphanage so stuff actually vanishes and needs to be replace, have some flavor of npcs actually using the stuff. There are so many ways you can rp a monk, but only two of them gain you points in the eyes of the npcworld.
You could do small things like if a monk goes to buy a blanket or a bedroll, they get it for a discount or for free. perks like that might help people feel less like they have to net lots of riln though I've never really understood that particularly with the mount changes. monks don't have a lot they can even do with recognition points. I get that's the point, to make monks feel like they don't need money. so maybe have us pay for things we need with those in certain places. Aside from making more crafts, or modding the ones we already have, I'm still trying to think of more ways to expand monklife as it is by far the character I enjoy the most
I've avoided mentioning rp to much as part of this seems to be a mecanics question.

mercer

Post by mercer » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:06 pm

I've been playing my monk so I can better think of things to suggest
Better balance in the reward from herb tasks. atlas stem which goes for 30riln in the market which implies that it is either very important, or very useful doesn't give you any more to turn in than any other herb task.
I just turned in 10 fresh fraer root, for 20 gp
The riln to gp conversion is rather lo, I turned 1000 riln and got 200gp and rp
which means if you wanted a horse specifically off riln donations you'd need 25000 riln, unless I messed up my math
Perhaps instead of riln, we could have making poultices give gp? foraging herbs give .1 gp per herb, or something like that, the problem with the riln thing, is that I'm concerned it will give players an actual mecanic reason to change the way they rp and start excepting riln donations, or doing things specifically for riln to donate it's only a little, but a it's still something, and a lot is still a lot even if it is less lott
monks really don't have an issue with gp and rp I'm rank 13 and have 11k recpoints I'll and I think it's 12 more ranks till max monk abil, I'd have to go check if your ok with that progression, that's fine with me, I'll get there when I get there
I play it because I enjoy the character, and it's interesting to see what he'll make of situations
I've never really had an issue playing or having fun in monk but it would be neat if there was more for us to do If we can make it so monks can go into more dangerous places, then you can up the challenge of go find the templer tasks, and there won't be this high level templer just chillin out stabbing the odd squirrel or two

Return to “Monastic Order”