Repairing

Repairing

Postby Dorn » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:48 am

So, there are lots of old posts, lots of mixed information from the wiki and what people think they know. Would it be possible to get a clear comment from staff as to how repairing works right now?

I'm not talking numbers of course, but things such as "Any time you repair an item, it degrades a little. This doesn't happen if you're an Artisan or reach a certain threshold in skill" or however it is.
~Dorn
Uyoku takes a bite of her smelly skunk poop.

DEV

Re: Repairing

Postby Jirato » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:42 am

If an NPC repairs the item: No change, but need to wait 24 hours (This is subject to change and probably will degrade weapons at some point in the future we do not want any weapon or armor to be "permanent")
If a PC repairs an item: CHANCE of quality loss and strength loss (strength used to determine how fast durability goes down) UNLESS (see below)

If the PC who repairs the item has the Artisan Blacksmithing skill and...
Is considered an "apprentice blacksmith": Chance of quality loss and strength loss, slightly less strength loss than non-Artisan blacksmiths.
Is considered a "journeyman blacksmith": Chance of quality loss and strength loss, slightly less strength loss than apprentice blacksmiths.
Is considered a "master blacksmith": Chance of strength loss, slightly less than journeymen blacksmiths.

There was a bug/oversight where the artisan blacksmithing ability's tiered progression didn't apply to the repair verb, so everyone with the ability was getting 0 chance of durability last and the most minor amount of strength loss possible. This has been fixed.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!

Postby Dorn » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:50 am

As it is possible to repair without Blacksmithing abilities, has there been any consideration to allowing the specific abilities for non-Artisans conferring a small bonus to it as well? While Artisans are supposed to be the best and they are, there really should be some sort of gap between those who have spent the ability points compared to those who haven't.

Is this chance effected by skill, or is it purely a flat chance that only gets effected by the Artisan Blacksmith ability.

Also, thank you Jirato.
~Dorn

DEV

Postby Jirato » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:55 am

The fact that it is possible to repair without the relevant blacksmithing abilities is a bug and will be fixed.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!

Postby Dorn » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:59 am

Would it be possible to include messaging when there is a durability loss while repairing as well at some point?

Also, while I don't think non-Artisans should ever be close to the Artisans in regards to styles/ease, I do feel like 4 ability points and far worse at repairing is beginning to ask a lot. Pre-generalization, yeah. Everyone and their donkey was doing it. Now, you're pretty much jumping through a hurdle anyway for no actual gain. Or at least, that is how it is beginning to feel like.
~Dorn

DEV

Postby Jirato » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:28 am

Dorn wrote:Would it be possible to include messaging when there is a durability loss while repairing as well at some point?

You will now be able to tell when you damage an item during repairs if your skill is high enough.

Postby Kunren » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:58 am

This, is very very nice. Thank you!
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.

DEV

Postby Jirato » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:00 am

Should read "an item" not a weapon. Works on armor too, I'll edit the original post.

Postby Skah » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:26 am

Thanks for the info! I was under the impression that Master Artisans were the risk-free repairers. Maybe they should be? As it stands, I'd be strongly tempted to give NPCs all my repairs from now on, which is a fair bit of business!

CLOK Patron

Postby merin » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:47 am

Speaking of repairs/tiers, can we have notification or an official statement on what it takes to be master blacksmith listed in the ability? While it says it's tiered, I have no idea what I'm short on/need to grind. Last I remember hearing it was 750 forging general and 300 for bladed blunt and armor, however, I'm unsure.

Postby Kunren » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:21 am

merin wrote:Speaking of repairs/tiers, can we have notification or an official statement on what it takes to be master blacksmith listed in the ability? While it says it's tiered, I have no idea what I'm short on/need to grind. Last I remember hearing it was 750 forging general and 300 for bladed blunt and armor, however, I'm unsure.

Numbers are supposed to be vague I believe
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.

Postby Dorn » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:36 am

Thank you J for that update.

Would it also be possible to get a vague indication as to the durability of an item when you examine?

For example, right now it is...
It appears to be battered.
It appears to be of superior quality.

But if it was badly worn down in terms of durability over time...
It appears to be battered.
It appears to be of superior quality but has obviously seen a lot of use.

Or something along those lines.
~Dorn

DEV

Postby Jirato » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:31 am

Something like that isn't possible with the way it's currently set up.

Postby Kiyaani » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:36 pm

Jirato wrote:If an NPC repairs the item: No change, but need to wait 24 hours (This is subject to change and probably will degrade weapons at some point in the future we do not want any weapon or armor to be "permanent")

Sorry for the necro, but I'm being told this information is no longer accurate and I see no more recent posts or threads indicating otherwise. Can we get some GM clarity on if NPC repairs are no longer "perfect"? If this has indeed been changed, and people's items are being degraded by NPC repairs, that's pretty disappointing to not have announced. But maybe I just missed a post somewhere or my source is mistaken.

Return to Blacksmithing