Death about to become more dangerous

Announcements that don't fit into another category.
Jirato
DEV

Death about to become more dangerous

Post by Jirato » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:00 pm

As some of you may know, the death system in its current form is just a temporary measure from back when the game was in an early alpha stage of development. It's just a quick mechanical workaround to the actual death experience which has been in development since March of 2012. My goal is to hopefully get this fully released before the end of October.

Please note the following:
  • The death experience is intended to be a (fairly easy) puzzle, so we're not going to be posting a complete guide to how it works or anything.
  • The DEPART command, which was an entirely OOC workaround to the fact that we didn't have an actual IC death system implemented, is being removed.
  • The location in which you return to after dying will no longer be based off of your character's faction but instead be the closest of several pre-set locations from where you died.
  • Lastly, there will be five options when you die:
    1. Getting raised by an NPC (Same as before)
    2. Getting raised by a PC (Same as before)
    3. Reviving a finite number of times with certain aspects which must be worked off
    4. Reviving with losing all the items on your corpse
    5. Voluntary permadeath.
The above is left intentionally vague as we really want this to be an experience for players to figure out on their own. Do note, however, that it's forgiving enough that you will be able to use option #3 multiple times before having to figure out the entire death puzzle or resort to option #4. Once you figure out the specifics for the third option, you'll be able to create a larger buffer to allow for future deaths with that option. We'll also be monitoring player's progress closely, and if it looks like no one is figuring it out, we may make some subtle adjustments to it.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!

Lun
CLOK Patron

Re: Death about to become more dangerous

Post by Lun » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:03 pm

I'm super hyped about this - I've been hearing hints of it whenever you guys mention "Death mechanics will change" and it's finally here OH YEAH BABY

Ardor

Post by Ardor » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:00 pm

Would it be possible to reduce the chance to get one-shot by random events (cave-in to the eye, gas leak to the eye, etc) with the harsher penalties?

Rokal

Post by Rokal » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:43 pm

I am curious about what ardor is asking about, I still remember the day i started, the first thing that happened to me after i tried to chop a tree down was it falling on me and killing me instantly. Moments after starting.

Its really easy to die in a lot of ways, so ..yah. Will insta-death incidents become less common?

Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:04 am

Cave-ins and Gas-leaks are entirely avoidable, so I dont see any need to tweak that. I'll look into the tree falling stuff though.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!

Return to “General Announcements”